Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Doublers


This past weekend Aimee and I became official Doublers at the Post Oak Lodge Challenge. On Saturday and Sunday Aimee ran a 10k then 1/4 Marathon while I ran a 50k then Marathon. Racing on back to back days was an awesome experience for us both. Obviously, this was the most running I have ever completed over the course of one weekend.


After day one I was beginning to ponder the possibility of not making it through the next day, but after finishing the Marathon on Sunday I surprisingly felt better than I did after the 50k on Saturday. My 50k time was 10 minutes faster than my race there in 2012 and it was good enough for 6th overall and 4th in my age group. Even better, the top 3 in my age group were also the top 3 finishers, so I won 1st in my age group! My marathon time was good enough for 14th overall and 6th in my age group and my combined 2 day total was 5th overall. In addition to all that, finishing 2 Marathons in 2 days bumped my Marathon Maniac status from 2 stars to 4! Yeah!

I really enjoyed the course as it was a nice mix of single track trail through woods, gravel and grass. There were several rocky sections and some difficult hills, including the "Hill from Hell", but all together they created a scenic and challenging but rewarding course. At the end, there was no doubt that you had just completed a true "challenge". Looking back at the weekend, I remain ever grateful for my ability to compete and finish races like this and I look forward to challenges like this that lie ahead.


My absolute favorite part of both days was the Marathon merging with the later starting Quarter Marathon and being able to run with Aimee to the finish of her race and the half-way point of mine. Our time to run together over the past few years has been limited, especially in races, so that short time together was the best.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

.